Not saying it as we speak...

My unsaid thoughts.

Monday, May 15, 2006

Is it because.....

So earlier last week I was disturbed at work because I had the slightest feeling that I was being stereotyped.
Let me run this down to you...
I ask a new co-worker of mine if she would be able to switch Saturdays with me because I wanted to attend a concert. Being the curious girl that she is, she asked "what concert?"
I replied, "The Essence Festival."
She in return said, "You would go to the Essence Festival." in a very cynical manner.
Now I didn't say this as we spoke, but I was thinking, " Why? Is it because I'm black?"
Lets keep in my mind that I hardly know this girl, she just started working with me about a week prior to this incident, so she doesnt know anything about me or the type of music that I listen to. Disturbed by what she had said, I asked her why she thought that.

She replied "You just look like you like that horrible music" (oh yes the insults keep coming).

Now I know I may be reaching when I ask this, but why is the music so horrible, is it because the artists are black??? I can see if it was controversial rap or something like that, but no, this was soulful R&B. Music that I think is great. Music that actually has some sort of meaning to it.

Sooo.. back to the subject at hand, let's address the comment about "looking like" I would go to the Essence Festival. Okay, Okay, I must say that it is a mostly black event, however, white people be there too. So other than the color of my skin, there's no reason why she would assume that I would attend the Essence Festival. I dont know seemed real stereotypical of someone like that. And when I say someone like that, I mean someone who is extremely judgemental and closed-minded. Maybe I'm wrong, how would you feel if it happened to you??????

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home