Not saying it as we speak...

My unsaid thoughts.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Was that really a necessary comment???

Today's class was interesting... I was mostly concerned with Tracy Everbach. Now I know she's a wonderful teacher, and a great writer, but one comment she said today stood out more than anything else she mentioned. When speaking about the lack of females on the front pages of newspapers, she somehow felt the need to mention minorities. Now I can't qoute what she said verbatim, but basically it was something like "It's similar to when you see minorities in the paper, they are always complaining because it's usually because of a crime." with a little snicker afterwards.

Am I being too sensitive???

I know that I wasnt the only one who took notice to this comment, because once it was said I looked at a classmate of mine (who will remain nameless) and she had a disturbed look on her face. And while turning to look at Theima (my bad Theima) I saw other classmates glance at us to see our reaction. So this comment certainly sparked some interest.

So my question today is: "Was that really a necessary comment?"

In my opinion she somewhat just reinstilled the typical stereotype of minorities to the thoughts of my fellow classmates . I dont think that this example was needed to make her point effective. Many other examples could have been used.

I think that normally that comment wouldnt have made much of an impact to me. I believe that being in this RACE, GENDER, and MEDIA class makes me more aware of certain issues and topics that I thought I had become immune to. I had become so desensitized to naive comments made that I guess I kinda forgot what it felt like to be offended, even if it is unintentional.

Anyway, I'm sure Tracy meant nothing by it, and I respect her the same, I just needed to get that off my chest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home