Not saying it as we speak...

My unsaid thoughts.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Ghetto???

So here is a topic that has bothered me lately...

ghet·to n.
A section of a city occupied by a minority group who live there especially because of social, economic, or legal pressure.

Why is it that whenever someone (usually non-black) has something or sees something that perhaps doesnt work or it needs a little fixing/rigging they want to call it ghetto? Now I wasnt brought up in the ghetto or anything like that, but that really bothers me that whenever something isnt up to par it's ghetto. I mean, we all know that the ghetto is usually where the projects are, you know government housing, and the majority of people in the ghetto are black. I just dont think that that word should be used so loosely, or at least when it refers to unworking objects.

I know alot of great people who have overcome where they came from (the ghetto) and they actually say that it has helped them overcome many struggles in life today. I know that the ghetto is for low income families, but does that necessarily mean that it has to have a negative connotation attached to it???

You never hear people say that something is "trailer" or "trailer park" when something doesnt work, or it's just "not right."

So why use ghetto???

Just something to think about...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home